Thursday, March 12, 2009

White Sauce Mix

I'm doing corned beef tonight, with white sauce - yum! So I thought I'd pass on this fantastic white sauce mix that I found last year.

2 cups skim milk powder
1 cup plain flour
125g butter

Throw them all in a food processor and combine. If you don't have one, then rub the butter in by hand.
This will make about 4 cups of the dry mix. This is able to be frozen! Just pop it in an airtight container or a ziploc bag. Easy as!

When ready to make white sauce, combine 1 cup of mix with 2 cups of water and heat while stirring till it thickens. I add a bit of salt and pepper too. And I always use a whisk.

Add cheese for cheese sauce, or use vegetable or chicken stock for a savoury sauce for casseroles etc.

So easy, and so much better than melting butter, adding flour and milk and trying not to let it get lumpy!

2 comments:

  1. My goodness you are handy :P This is a great idea, I love time savers. Yum I haven't had corned beef in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's just so easy and handy. Even if you don't use a lot of white sauce it's great! Saves using all your fresh milk too!

    ReplyDelete