Wednesday, July 1, 2009

simple lamb casserole/stew thing

When I was a kid, mum used to make this 'mutton stew' which was the absolute bane of my existance! I hated it with a passion! However, lamb casserole was my favourite dinner ever.
They were the same thing.

So here is my version of my mum's mutton stew, although with lamb!

1kg diced lamb
1 onion, diced
6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 carrots, chopped into chunks
3 sticks celery, chopped into chunks
1 tin tomatoes
italian herbs
red wine
frozen peas (optional)

brown onion in pot, add diced lamb and brown. add other vegies, tomatoes, herbs and stir. then put in some red wine (1/2 to 1cup) and simmer for 1hour or so.
this would also work well in the slow cooker on low for 6-8hours.

towards the end, add the peas if you want them, and heat through until peas are cooked.

serve on it's own or with crusty bread or similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment