Saturday, February 21, 2009

Potato Salad

My dad started making this potato salad years ago, however I've put my own spin on it... and I'm yet to find a person who doesn't like it! Everyone raves over it, so I've decided to publish my recipe. :)

Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Bacon (short cut is best)
Onion
Garlic
Can of sweet corn
Sour cream
Whole egg mayo

Dice your potatoes (peeled if you wish) and put in the pot to boil. Add the diced and peeled sweet potatoes as the others start to boil (they take a bit less to cook).
While the potatoes are cooking, dice onion and bacon. Fry up with a gob of garlic. Fresh or minced, but if fresh, make sure it's crushed or diced well.

When potatoes are cooked, drain and allow to cool for a while. Add the onion and bacon mix, along with a tin of sweet corn. Mix well.

Then get equal parts of mayo and sour cream and mix, then stir through the potatoes.

This makes a deliciously creamy potato salad. The sweet potato really gives it something different, and the sour cream/mayo mix is just divine. I've made this with both regular mayo and the whole egg mayo - the egg one is MUCH better!
I also purposely didn't put quantities, it's up to you. I do it different every time. Probably about 5 potatoes, 1 sweet potato, 1 onion, 4 slices of bacon, 200ml sr cream, 200ml mayo and a tiny tin of sweet corn will make for a bowlful of potato salad. Doubleish of that will make enough for a big salad bowl.

For something different, try the flavoured sour cream - tonight I used garlic and parsley flavoured.

Yum yum, this is one of my absolute favourite recipes!

2 comments:

  1. The secret to any good potato salad is a good sauce.. but serve it warm!

    Oneof my potato salads everyone loves the sauce is sour cream, mayo, dill, and a splash of lemon + all the ingredients you have said.. for a special change add prawns :P but serve warm.. mmmm!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I like it warm too. Last night's was a bit warm, and it was delicous.
    I hate the vinegary taste of regular mayo too, icky, and it makes it very unyummy.
    I personally wouldn't do the prawns, but dill and lemon sounds good.
    My dad puts fresh basil in his. :)

    ReplyDelete