Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spaghetti a la Chittara

Dad found this recipe once in some Italian pasta cookbook - it isn't really called Spaghetti a la Chittara, it has a much much longer name, but that's what we call it (because I think the chittara bit is really just... pasta).
Anyways, it's simple and delicious!

You need:
500g pork mince
1 or 2 tins diced tomatoes
1tsp minced chilli (or to taste)
1 large or 2 small onions
3tbsp tomato paste
spaghetti

Dice the onions and saute in a little olive oil. Add the mince and cook until browned and the lumps have come out. Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 15-20 mins until it's well cooked.
Serve with regular spaghetti pasta and some fresh parmesan or romano cheese if you like it.
I think the more onion in it, the better, so experiment! I would normally use 2 largish onions, not just one, but it's up to you really. As for the tinned tomatoes, start with 1 tin, you may need a 2nd one if the mixture is too dry.
Oh! My idea of a tablespoon, for the tomato paste, well my tablespoons are rather... erm... large. 3 gobs of it will do fine. :p

So easy, but really delicious! It is one of our family favourites, although I haven't made it in a LONG time... I think it will be on the books this week or next. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment