Monday, February 16, 2009

Sang Choy Bow

My friend Mon asked me for recipe ideas tonight and this is what I came up with, and possibly will make it tomorrow. It is from the CSIRO cookbook however I will be changing a couple of things.

1 iceberg lettuce
2tbsp oyster sauce
1tbsp soy sauce
1tsp sesame oil
1tbsp cornflour
1/2 small red chilli or 1/2 tsp minced chilli (or not if you don't like chilli)
1 beaten egg
2tbsp olive oil
8 shiitake mushrooms (or regular button mushrooms as I will be using)
2 cloves garlic/2tsp minced garlic
2cm of ginger /2tsp minced ginger
400g minced/ground pork
6 water chestnuts finely chopped which I will not be putting in
50g dried rice noodles, soaked in water then chopped
2.5tbsp hoisin sauce
4 spring onions, finely diced.


Carefully cut whole leaves of the lettuce and rinse, trim them to be cup shaped.
Mix oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornflour, chilli and egg in a bowl.
Heat oil in frying pan, high heat, add mushrooms, garlic, ginger and cook for a minute, stirring. Add pork and cook, stir well to break up mince lumps. Cook 8-10 mins. Drain off excess liquid.
Return to heat then add chestnuts and noodles and cook 4 mins. Stir in the sauce mixture and cook another 10 mins until sauce thickens. Allow it to cool a little.

Place lettuce leaves on serving plates and divide meat between them. Drizzle hoisin sauce over the top and sprinkle with spring onions.
Serve with steamed greens.

I think I'll be putting the spring onions in the mixture when I'm cooking as I don't really like them raw.

Fortunately I won't have to do much shopping tomorrow, I'll just need to get lettuce, meat, mushrooms and spring onions.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Bec.
    It's not bad. Not my fave, but not bad... although when I made it, I forgot to add the egg to the sauces mix, and stirred it in at the end so it was chunky bits of egg floating around. I didn't really like that, but oh well!

    ReplyDelete